|Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on July 20, 2011 at 12:20 AM|
For this week's blocks I did Buckwheat and Butterfly at the Crossroads. Buckwheat, pictured below, is the first piecing I have ever done on point and I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out! This turned out to be one of those blocks that looked more intimidating than it actually was, but it's also the first block I completely templated and I think that made the difference. Using the templates, all those triangles fell together like nuthin'. Wow, was that a relief! The block was done in brown in the colour combination in the Farmer's Wife book, but it turned out well in various shades of grey.
Butterfly at the Crossroads is one of my favourite blocks so far due to the colour combination I used, along with the fact I did the "crossroads" in a third colour. The original block only used two colours. It also lined up perfectly and I just think it looks really sharp! I also used the templates for this block. I had tried piecing the HSTs from squares, but decided it'd be easier to template eight pairs of triangles rather than trim them. I'm done sixteen blocks now and have been thinking about how big a quilt I want to make this. I'm not sure I'll do all 111 blocks since I don't plan on doing a queen-sized quilt. But I may, knowing that I don't have to use them all in the same quilt. I also may use a straight setting instead of finishing them on point. Typically, the blocks will come from the Farmer's Wife book, but what I do with the finished blocks will come from inside my head!
|Butterfly at the Crossroads||